Homes for children victims of any form of violence
Physical, Sexual and Psychological Abuse, Neglect, Smuggling and Trafficking
"The Smile of the Child" operates 11 Homes nationwide in order to protect children victims of any form of violence and provide them
with a safe living environment where they can enjoy everything necessary for their healthy
physical, mental, emotional and social development.
In view of ensuring and empowering:
- The right to respect of the human dignity of children, their physical integrity and their right to conditions of humane and a non-degrading treatment and non-violent upbringing, regardless of race, language, sex, religion, political or other beliefs, ethnic or social origin, property, family origin
- The right of children to enjoy respect for their private life and freedom of expression, provided that the rights of other children in the same environement are not violated
- Their right to benefit from any kind of education, vocational guidance and training provided to all children on an equal basis
- Their right to quality health care adapted to their needs
- Their right to quality, safe and "family-like" living.
Hundreds of children have found a true family in the 11 Homes of the
The main concern of the Organization is to avoid the institutionalization of children, and the main goal is to re-integrate them into society as smoothly as possible and in a dignified manner. With respect and discretion, but primarily with lot of love and affection, "The Smile of the Child" opens its arms to hundreds of children victims of violence.
Our Homes raise children of different ages, irrespective of their nationality and origin, removed from their family environment upon the order of competent prosecutorial and judicial authorities due to severe abuse and neglect.
Requests for shelter are submitted by:
- Public Minors’ Prosecutors
- Public Prosecutors of First Instance Courts
- Judicial Authorities
- Social Services of Municipalities, Prefectures and Children’s Hospitals
- Other Child Protection facilities
Each Home has a maximum capacity for 30 children. Our Homes are staffed by:
- Social Workers
- Housekeeping Staff
The operation and daily life is adapted to each child’s individual
needs, particularities and personality, always with respect to their personal will and opinions.
The Homes are staffed by individuals who are always by the side of children. These individuals do not merely use their expertise and knowledge, but open up their souls offering their love, warmth and care on a 24 hours basis, every day and every hour. Everything done has as the ultimate goal to give children everything they need and deserve, namely, a life within society and not outside of it.
Children attend local schools, private foreign language courses, tutoring and courses on Informatics. They also take part in sports activities, cultural associations, school and other outside activities. They play, celebrate, go for holidays, to the theatre, cinema and recreation parks, etc.
In addition to the assistance offered by the scientific personnel of our Organization, specialized centers offer specialized services when necessary for the smooth development of a child’s personality and individual needs.
Volunteers play a significant role in children's Homes, as they undertake certain obligations with consistency and responsibility.
Children who grow up in our Homes were abandoned, neglected and abused during the first months of their lives. Many toddlers, school-aged and teenage children who are today more than 18 years-old study, serve their military service, work, create their own families and offer back to society as responsible and active citizens.
"The Smile of the Child" operated its first Home for children in 1997.