"The Smile of the Child" in recognition of the enormous importance of prevention carries out a program of Preventive Medicine for all children nationwide giving emphasis on those children and families who live in remote areas, have no access to medical centers, run the risk of social exclusion and have no proper medical care and support due to financial and other difficulties.
Preventive medical examinations are always carried out with the written consent of the child's parents / guardians and include:
- Clinical examination to identify any health problem as early as possible.
- Education in order to avoid the appearance of diseases.
- Early diagnosis of children's illnesses and guidance for their proper treatment
- In special cases reference to a doctor and / or escort for further medical control and exams.
"The Smile of the Child" provides preventive medicine services by three mobile units:
The Multi-medical unit "Hippocrates" that provides the following independent sections: Audiology, cardiology, pediatric, ophthalmology, dentistry.
The unit ensures an independent power supply and has the innovative system of e-ppokrates, a preventive medicine program through which a series of medical exams are carried out based on an electronic file for all children. Furthermore, it is important to note that an interconnection with doctors is also ensured via telemedicine services.
- The Medical mobile Unit of Dentistry and Medicine for children
- An Opthalmology and Otorhinolaryngology Mobile Unit of Preventive Medicine for children
"The Smile of the Child" implements Preventive Medicine in collaboration with:
- The Ministry of Health
- The Ministry of Education
- The Local Authorities
- The Public Hospitals, the medical centers
- The Medical - Dental Associations
"The Smile of the Child" carries out this action since 2002.
The story of Hippocrates
In 2001 the Ministry
of Aegean and Island Policy granted to us the ship "HIPPOCRATES"
Our goal was to convert it into a floating multi clinic for Children and a Support Center for Children and Families living in the Greek periphery.
Due to the lack of other suitable infrastructure "HIPPOCRATES" was a great gift!
Unfortunately the problems were many and "HIPPOCRATES" was in bad condition. It was impossible to be repaired and safely accommodate our new actions.
As a result, we decided to dismantle the ship and use the amount earned for new innovative actions for children.
With the substantial participation of many sponsoring companies we created:
The first Mobile Multi-Medical Unit for Children in our country!
And we baptized it.... "HIPPOCRATES" marked with .... the boat!
A project that was finally realized and is available to children in need throughout Greece.