Amber Alert Hellas
National Coordinating program for the timely and valid notification of citizens in cases of disappearance/abduction of minors
Amber Alert Hellas is the National Coordinating Program for timely and valid notification of citizens in cases of disappearance/abduction of minors, which is activated by the Organization "The Smile of the Child" with the approval of the Greek Police.
Amber Alert Hellas comprises the immediate, valid and detailed information of citizens about a minor disappearance incident only a few minutes after the authorities or the Organization "The Smile of the Child" have notified about it. To achieve this, a wide group of bodies - private and voluntary - participate in the program, each of them communicating the details of the missing child and some other basic information through all means available, such us TV and radio spots, Facebook posts, SMS messages, announcements on airport screens, etc.
"The Smile of the Child" launched Amber Alert Hellas in Greece in 2007.
In which cases Amber Alert Hellas is activated
The cases of disappearances of minors for which Amber Alert Hellas can be activated should be assessed overall and have one of the following characteristics:
- Early age of the child / children
- Clear signs indicating that the life or health of the child may be at risk
- Suspicions indicating a possible abduction or abduction of the child
- Activating the system will help identify the child
- Police decision that the activation of the alert will by no means endanger the child
How we can all be actively involved
We can all actively participate in the process of locating a missing child by registering in the AMBER ALERT HELLAS service on our mobile phone.
Valid for all mobile subscribers
In specific, you will only need to send your postal code to register, either the one of your residence or your office In case of a disappearance of a minor near your area, you will receive a message with the details and the description of the missing child by SMS.
Registration in AMBER ALERT HELLAS
- Send your SMS with your postcode to 116000 from your mobile phone. (simple SMS charge)
- You will receive a reply SMS (free of charge for the subscriber), which will confirm your subscription to the AMBER ALERT HELLAS Service.
- Every time AMBER ALERT HELLAS gets activated, each registered subscriber receives a message with the details and description of the missing minor (without charge for the subscriber)
Unsubscribe from AMBER ALERT HELLAS
Send your SMS to 116000 from mobile phone with a simple “no”. You will be automatically unsubscribed from the AMBER ALERT HELLAS Service. (simple SMS charge)
Brief History of AMBER ALERT
Amber Alert was created in 1996 as a powerful legacy to 9-year-old Amber Hagerman, a bright little girl who was kidnapped while riding her bicycle in Arlington, Texas and brutally murdered. The tragedy shook and angered the local community. Residents contacted radio stations in the Dallas area and suggested that they air special newsletters so as to help prevent similar incidents in the future.
In response to the citizens' demand for child safety, the Dallas / Fort Worth Association of Radio Managers, in collaboration with local police authorities in North Texas, created an innovative early notification system with the purpose of finding child victims of abduction. Statistics lead to the conclusion that time is the biggest enemy in incidents of kidnapping minors.
The Amber Alert program is coordinated by the National Centre for Missing and Exploited Children of the Organization “The Smile of the Child”, a member of the International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children, that is based in Washington. The program is a voluntary partnership of police authorities, media and other entities (private and state, telecommunication companies, etc.) with the aim of prompt activation and display of emergency bulletins/messages in the event of the abduction of a minor, when there are reasonable grounds for suspecting that the victim is in imminent danger. In April 2003, Amber Alert was established as a National Program for dealing with such incidents in the U.S.A.
We joined forces to help all children find their way back home.
AMBER ALERT HELLAS currently operates with the partnership of more than 154 operators, something happening for the first time in Greece.
- "THE SMILE OF THE CHILD" - SEARCH AND RESCUE TEAM "THANASIS MAKRIS"
- RSF HELLAS VOLUNTARY TELECOMMUNICATIONS & RESCUE TEAM
- ATTICA HOTELS ASSOCIATION
- THESSALONIKI HOTEL ASSOCIATION
- HOTEL CHAMBER OF GREECE
- ACS COURIER AND POSTAL SERVICES
- C.E TITAN CEMENT
- MEXI MANSION
- RADIO TAXI ACROPOLIS
- STAR RADIO TAXI
- NATIONAL EMERGENCY AID CENTRE EKAB-KEPY
- AEGEAN SPEEDLINES
- ATTICA GROUP
- FRAPORT GREECE-AKTIO AIRPORT
- FRAPORT GREECE-ZAKYNTHOS AIRPORT "DIONYSIOS SOLOMOS"
- FRAPORT GREECE-THESSALONIKI AIRPORT"MACEDONIA"
- FRAPORT GREECE-KAVALA AIRPORT "MEGAS ALEXANDROS"
- FRAPORT GREECE-CORFU AIRPORT "IOANNIS KAPODISTRIAS"
- FRAPORT GREECE-KEFALONIA AIRPORT "ANNA POLLATOU"
- FRAPORT GREECE-KOS AIRPORT "IPPOKRATIS"
- FRAPORT GREECE-MYKONOS AIRPORT
- FRAPORT GREECE-MYTILENE AIRPORT "ODYSSEAS ELYTIS"
- FRAPORT GREECE-RHODES AIRPORT"DIAGORAS"
- FRAPORT GREECE-SAMOS AIRPORT "ARISTARCHOS O SAMIOS"
- FRAPORT GREECE-SANTORINI AIRPORT
- FRAPORT GREECE-SKIATHOS AIRPORT "ALEXANDROS PAPADIAMANTIS"
- FRAPORT GREECE-CHANIA AIRPORT "IOANNIS DASKALOGIANNIS"
- GOLDEN STAR FERRIES
- SKYROS SHIPPING S.A.
- ELEFTHERIOS VENIZELOS AIRPORT
- ALEXANDROUPOLIS AIRPORT
- ASTYPALEA AIRPORT
- IKARIA AIRPORT
- IOANNINA AIRPORT
- KALAMATA AIRPORT
- KALYMNOS AIRPORT
- KARPATHOS AIRPORT
- KASTORIA AIRPORT
- KOZANI AIRPORT
- KYTHERA AIRPORT
- LEROS AIRPORT
- LIMNOS AIRPORT
- MILOU AIRPORT
- NEW ANCHIALOS AIRPORT
- PARU AIRPORT
- SKYROS AIRPORT
- SYROS AIRPORT
- HUGH AIRPORT
- ATTIKI ODOS
- AEGEAN MOTORWAY
- GEFYRA S.A.
- DODECANESE SEA LINES
- EGNATIA ODOS
- HERAKLION STATE AIRPORT "NIKOS KAZANTZAKIS" - CIVIL AVIATION SERVICE
- SYROS STATE AIRPORT " DIMITRIOS VIKELAS "(KASOV)
- KTEL AITOLOAKARNANIA
- MOREAS SA
- NEW ROAD (SCHIMATARI)
- OSY S.A.
- OLYMPIA ODOS
- THESSALONIKI URBAN TRANSPORT AGENCY
- STA.SY ISAP
- ASTRA TV
- ATHENS UP RADIO
- ATHENS VOICE RADIO 102,5
- ATLAS TV (CENTRAL MACEDONIA)
- CENTER TV KAVALA
- COSMOTE TV
- ENA CHANNEL (EAST MACEDONIA THRACE)
- FLASH TV (WEST MACEDONIA)
- KISS FM
- MOUSIKOS 98.6
- MUSIC 89.2
- OPEN TV
- PEPPER & UP RADIO
- RISE TV
- SFERA 102.2
- STAR TV CENTRAL GREECE (CENTRAL GREECE)
- TRT (THESSALY)
- ATHENS 9,84
- DELTA TV THRACE (EASTERN MACEDONIA THRACE)
- CRETAN TV
- MACEDONIA TV
- NEW CRETAN TV
- RADIO STATION GREEK
- MUNICIPALITY OF ATHENS
- MUNICIPALITY OF AMPHICLEA ELATEIA
- MUNICIPALITY OF ASPROPYRGOS
- MUNICIPALITY OF VARIS VOULAS VOULIAGMENI
- MUNICIPALITY OF VOLOS
- MUNICIPALITY OF GLYFADA
- MUNICIPALITY OF DRAMA
- MUNICIPALITY OF ELEUSIS
- MUNICIPALITY OF ZITSA
- MUNICIPALITY OF ILIOUPOLI
- MUNICIPALITY OF THESSALONIKI
- MUNICIPALITY OF PYRGOS
- MUNICIPALITY OF HALKIDIKI
- DISTRICT OF ATTICA
- DISTRICT OF NORTH AEGEAN
- DISTRICT OF THESSALY
- DISTRICT OF CENTRAL MACEDONIA
- DISTRICT OF SOUTH AEGEAN
- CIVIL PROTECTION OF OLYMPIC VILLAGE-ACHARNON
- ALPHA BANK
- EURONET WORLDWIDE
- NATIONAL BANK OF GREECE
- PIRAEUS BANK
- MINISTRY OF DEVELOPMENT
- MINISTRY OF JUSTICE
- MINISTRY OF NATIONAL DEFENCE
- MINISTRY OF LABOUR & SOCIAL AFFAIRS
- MINISTRY OF MARITIME AFFAIRS & ISLAND POLICY
- MINISTRY OF CIVIL PROTECTION
- MINISTRY OF INFRASTRUCTURE & TRANSPORT
- APOLLON SMYRNIS
- ASTERAS TRIPOLIS
- ATROMETOS ATHINON 1923
- VOLOS NPS
- IONIKOS 1965
- PAS LAMIA 1964
- OLYMPIACOS S.F.P.
- PAS GIANNINA 1966