Recreational activities in hospitalized children
«The Smile of the
Child», by the early
years of its foundation, has always actively been next to any child that needs
to be hospitalized for a long or a shorter period.
By using simple materials as “tools”, such as laughing, playing, singing, discussing, «The Smile of the Child» supports, and strengthens primarily the children along with their families.
Our aim is to make children feel that the hospital could also be a play area, a place of joy and creativity. The pleasant environment during the hours of recreational activities, helps to banish tension and has a liberating effect on children's souls as well as on their parents, nurses and doctors'.
By combining creativity, learning and entertainment, alternative ways of self-expression and emotional support are being provided, thus maximising the effort of children and their families' to cope with difficulties resulting from the disease.
Our team has a daily presence next to the children, providing recreational activities such as:
- Individual and team play in specially designed playgrounds and wards.
- Opportunities for improvisation and self expression, relaxation - expansion of the children (painting, handicrafts, artistic structures, puppet or watching theatrical performances, etc.)
- Music and song days, where even children with no musical knowledge can participate. Depending on the age and their emotional and physical status they take part in musical activities and musical games, through which they express their feelings, while at the same time they have the opportunity to acquire basic music knowledge.
- Day excursions and events' organization, birthday parties, seasonal celebrations, with participation of clowns, magicians and their favorite artists.
- Seasonal activities, e.x. in Christmas, where Christmas presents and candles are offered nationwide to all hospitalized children even in hospitals where no recreational activities take place.
Each action is carefully chosen:
- Calms down by softening the physical and the soul pain
- Children are distracted ,as in addition to basic music skills, they learn to apply different techniques based on music, song and rythme.
- Reduces the fear, stress and anxiety
- Spending time creatively
- Emerging talents
- Improving the hospital room, where the kids spend an amount of time, making it welcoming and cheerful.
Seasonal activities / Celebrations / Birthdays
- Children do not lose track of time
- Their stay in hospital becomes more pleasant
Today, oure teams are permanently based in the following hospitals:
- Children's Hospital "Aghia Sophia"
- Children's Hospital "Panagiotis & Aglaia Kyriakou"
- General Hospital "Hippocratio" Thessaloniki
- General University Hospital of Thessaloniki "AHEPA"
- General Hospital of Patras "Karamandanio"
- Regional General Hospital of Patras
«The Smile of the Child» provides recreational activities to children in hospitals since 1999.