6TH YOUSMILE AWARDS: You are never too young to change the world!
Athens, July 5th, 2022
6TH YOUSMILE AWARDS: You are never too young to change the world!
Children's smiles, laughter, pride and admiration flooded the “Miltiadis Evert” Amphitheater at the Technopolis of the Municipality of Athens on the afternoon of July 4, at the 6th YouSmile Awards organized by "The Smile of the Child" and the YouSmile Student Volunteer Network.
With the motto "You are never too young to change the world", the event, that throughout the years has turned into a tradition, presented by Dimitris Ougkarezos, was held again this year with great success and the sole purpose of highlighting student initiatives and actions that served as a source of inspiration for both children and adults. The YouSmile Awards are held every year with the approval and under the auspices of the Ministry of Education and Religious Affairs.
Just like every other year, the children impressed the audience with their ingenuity, creativity and humor, turning the event into a celebration of volunteerism and filling all those who attended, with pride and emotion. The event was attended by the Deputy Minister of Education Angelos Sirigos, as well as Member of Parliament (ND party) George Koumoutsakos.
And because the Student Volunteer Network of “The Smile” is made for Children by Children, the 8 winners were announced after a vote of the YouSmile volunteering students, while all the young participants received honorable mentions for their excellent initiatives.
It is worth noting that, always by observing the precautionary measures against the Covid-19 virus, the "Miltiadis Evert" Amphitheater was packed with participations exceeding 5.400 from 106 schools! In total of the 6 years of holding the YouSmile Awards, more than 35.100 students from 653 Primary and Secondary Education schools from all over Greece have participated, upgrading with their actions and inventions the Student Volunteering Network of “The Smile”, even more.
The President of Technopolis, Konstantinos Dedes, welcomed the attendees as a genuine host, declaring that he was happy to host the event: "I am very pleased that Technopolis is hosting "The Smile" tonight. In a time of toxicity, criticism and bad news, tonight we are here to reward the children. We are being taught from their bright paradigm, and driven towards the light and the good, and we reward these efforts. Without competition, children reward each other and we are here to celebrate their achievements."
At the beginning of the event, the Chairman of the Board of Directors of the Organization, Costas Yannopoulos, congratulated the students as well as their parents and teachers, expressing his joy that through the "Smile" the children continue to set the best example through action and self-expression: «Tonight I am a little more proud of our children. Because tonight the real officials are the children and their bright example to all of us. And my joy is so great, because after 27 whole years, our children are taking the example of the founder of "The Smile", little Andreas. Because he, like you, was bothered by injustice and all these bad things that happen around us, which he wanted to heal. And he succeeded and inspired you. You make us proud; you've made me a YouSmiler out of me!”
The Deputy Minister of Education, Angelos Syrigos, congratulated “The Smile of the Child” for organizing the Awards, referring to the importance of the Organization's important work: "What "The Smile of the Child" has conquered all these years is to legitimize itself as the horsefly of the system. What stings and bothers us and we can't get rid of it, we might want to get rid of it but we can't because it has been legitimized in our consciousness and it has many times showed us how fun and inspiration can create something new like the YouSmile Awards. I consider it very important that young people participate; unfortunately we are a society of gerontocracy. It is very important that children are given the opportunity to inspire and be inspired. Congratulations for all that you have been doing for us for so many years."
ND Member of Parliament Giorgos Koumoutsakos congratulated the children, encouraging them to maintain their imagination and creativity in adult life as well: "The Smile of a Child" is now "the smiles" of children, after 27 years of social contribution, an entire lifetime. Tonight some are the winners, but "The Smile" has taught us solidarity and vision. Because even the greatest journeys begin with a small step. Many thanks to "The Smile" for everything."
The young protagonists of the night were awarded by: Angelos Sirigos, Deputy Minister of Education, Costas Giannopoulos, Chairman of the Organization "The Smile of the Child", George Mavridis, Presenter, Vangelis Nakis, Instagrammer, Fanis Lambropoulos, Presenter, Comedian, Danae Pappas, Actor and of course Students-volunteers of YouSmile.
You can watch the entire event as it was broadcasted live, here.
Following the Awards and the special personal story of each Child, behind them:
1. Category: Students who helped society
WINNER: Siblings Christos & Marianiki 11 years old and Dimitris Kouvelis 16 years old
Αwardee: George Mavridis
Do children put out fires? In the Gouves village of Evia they do, and very effectively indeed! The students of the Elementary School helped in the huge effort to extinguish last year's fires in their home village, winning in addition to the Award, our admiration for their bravery.
2. Category: Technology & Science
WINNER: 6th General High school of Kavala
Αwardee: Danae Pappa
For their initiative to prevent incidents of domestic violence, students from Kavala were awarded, after they conceived and implemented the idea of "B-Safe", a bracelet of immediate alert in case of danger. By pressing an emergency button, an alert is automatically being sent to someone close to the person in danger, preventing thus the escalation of a potentially dangerous situation.
3. Category: Children who defended children's rights
WINNER: 1st General High school of Agios Dimitrios Attica Region
Αwardee: Vangelis Nakis
Students from Agios Dimitrios, Attica, taught us all a valuable lesson on the power of true friendship. Faced with the idea of separating from their friend, an unaccompanied refugee from Guinea, the children stood by his side like a real family, stirring up a wave of support and initiating the procedures for his stay in the country, which they succeeded in doing!
4. Category: Adult who inspired children
WINNER: Dimitris Papaioannou, retired basketball player
What is a basketball player doing at the YouSmile Awards? When with his attitude he is an inspiration and an example to imitate, then he is being awarded! Dimitris Papanikolaou, after the diagnosis of himself with Asperger and his daughters’ on the autism spectrum, he pioneered at the creation of the UniqueAll educational program campaign, praising the diversity of each child, whilst helping them evolve and believe in themselves.
5. Category: Sports
WINNER: Glikeria Taraza
Αwardee: Fanis Labropoulos
The talented swimmer of the 5th General High school of Heraklion Crete, did not give up, and in pandemic conditions she continued her intensive training in the swimming pool, as a result of which she excelled at the Pan-European Synchronized Swimming Championship in Malta, with the National Youth Team.
6. Category: Art and Culture
NIKITIS: Private School of Volos "Promitheas" OE, Junior High School
Αwardee: Deputy Minister of Education
Are you waiting for the bus? Schoolgirls from Volos, made sure that this time was not wasted, creating and placing a lending library at the stop! Their classmates also contributed to the effort by enriching the collection of books, while citizens who either travel by bus or cross the point, can do the same.
7. Category: Environment
WINNER: Nikoletta Pourekkou, High school student
Αwardee: Thessaloniki YouSmilers
A truly exemplary and conscientious little citizen of Thessaloniki, who has "put her glasses" all over her neighborhood and beyond, since she has made it her personal business to collect garbage from places that should not be located, but also to take care of stray animals. The young student of the 32nd General High School, remains an active citizen, writing with great success in electronic media about the value of volunteering but also the preservation of the natural Environment, managing to raise awareness among the general public.
8. Category: Child who helped society
WINNER: YouSmiler Dimitra Iatroudi
Αwardee: Mr Costas Yannopoulos
A child who teaches us humanity and makes us believe again in the goodness of our world. Dimitra from Athens shares her food with our homeless fellow citizens, organizing meals for them, talking and enjoying their company! Dimitra wants us all to turn our gaze at them, not to feel sorry for them, but to make them feel less alone. Dimitra received her Award surprised and delighted, after her best friend Georgia submitted her application! It is worth noting, that the little student manages to offer the maximum to her community while at the same time competing with the Panathinaikos Team.
With the kind support of the Technopolis of the Municipality of Athens
Schools that participated with their actions and initiatives in the 6th YouSmile Awards:
1. 2nd KINDERGARTEN OF ARCHANGELOS, RHODES
2. PRIMARY SCHOOL OF PETRITSI
3. 1st PRIMARY SCHOOL OF ARGOS ORESTIKO
4. 4th KINDERGARTEN OF CHIOS
5. 3rd GENERAL HIGH SCHOOL OF ALIMOS
6. 1st KINDERGARTEN OF PALEOCHORA
7. 2nd KINDERGARTEN OF PALEOCHORA
8. RHODES COLLEGE
9. 1st GENERAL HIGH SCHOOL OF XANTHI
10. PRIMARY SCHOOL OF XIROKAMPI
11. PRIMARY SCHOOL OF ARKADIKO
12. 3rd EXPERIMENTAL SCHOOL OF EVOSMOS
13. 12TH KINDERGARTEN OF KOZANI
14. UNIFORM SPECIAL VOCATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL OF AGRINI
15. 1 / S UNIFORM TYPE ALL DAY KINDERGARTEN ISTHMIA
16. 30TH PRIMARY SCHOOL OF THESSALONIKI
17. UNIFORM ALL-DAY KINDERGARTEN ISTHMIA
18. 3rd KINDERGARTEN OF NEA SMYRNIS
19. "DELASAL" COLLEGE HIGH SCHOOL
20. KINDERGARTEN OF ISTHMIA
21. 2nd KINDERGARTEN OF FRESHWATER & ANNEX
22. 5TH KINDERGARTEN OF IERAPETRA
23. ANTONOPOULOU SCHOOLS - EDUCATIONAL RENAISSANCE
24. 55TH KINDERGARTEN OF THESSALONIKI
25. 3rd KINDERGARTEN OF EPANOMI
26. KINDERGARTEN OF PLATANOS AMARIOS
27. 6 / S PRIMARY SCHOOL OF HERSOS KILKIS
28. 1st PRIMARY SCHOOL OF ARKALOCHORI
29. 2nd KINDERGARTEN OF CHAIDARI
30. 1st PRIMARY SCHOOL OF ARGOS ORESTIKOS KASTORIA
31. 2nd KINDERGARTEN OF ARIDEA
32. 1st KINDERGARTEN OF PYLIOS KOS
33. PRIVATE PRIMARY SCHOOL "AXION ESTI"
34. 5th GENERAL HIGH SCHOOL OF TRIKALA
35. 2nd PRIMARY SCHOOL OF IERAPETRA CRETE
36. PRIMARY SCHOOL OF AGIOS EDIPSOS
37. 11th KINDERGARTEN OF CHIOS
38. 1st PRIMARY SCHOOL OF AGRIA
39. FILLON KINDERGARTEN
40. KINDERGARTEN OF LAKE EVIA
41. LAKE KINDERGARTEN
42. ALL DAY KINDERGARTEN OF KALATHOS
43. VERGA BEACH KINDERGARTEN
44. KINDERGARTEN OF ELAIONA
45. 32nd KINDERGARTEN OF THESSALONIKI
46. 12th KINDERGARTEN OF KOZANI
47. KINDERGARTEN OF PLAGIA
48. 3rd HIGH SCHOOL OF FLORINA
49. 9th KINDERGARTEN OF NEAPOLIS THESSALONIKI
50. 6th HIGH SCHOOL OF TRIKALA
51. 2 / S KINDERGARTEN OF AGION PARASKIA
52. SPECIAL HIGH SCHOOL OF ILION
53. GENERAL SPECIAL JUNIOR HIGH SCHOOL & HIGHSCHOOL ACHARNON
54. 1st HIGH SCHOOL OF AGIOS ANARGYRON
55. 2nd KINDERGARTEN OF LIXOURI, KEFALONIA
56. 5th KINDERGARTEN OF LOUTRAKI
57. 2nd STANDARD HIGH SCHOOL OF VOLOS
58. 2nd KINDERGARTEN OF NEAS ARTAKIS
59. 1st PRIMARY SCHOOL OF ARKALOCHORI
60. VOLOS PROMITHEAS PRIVATE SCHOOLS OE.
61. ALONIA HIGH SCHOOL
62. 9th PRIMARY SCHOOL OF DRAMA
63. 6th PRIMARY SCHOOL OF DRAMA
64. 2nd PRIMARY SCHOOL OF CHANIA
65. 1st HIGH SCHOOL OF SERRES
66. 4th KINDERGARTEN OF CHIOS
67. KINDERGARTEN OF NEA HERAKLITSA KAVALA, 2nd SECTION
68. 6th INTERCULTURAL PRIMARY SCHOOL OF ELEFTHERI-KORDELI
69. 3rd DIVING KINDERGARTEN OF HERAKLION, CRETE
70. 1st PRIMARY SCHOOL OF MILA
71. 1st PRIMARY SCHOOL OF MEGALOPOLIS
72. KINDERGARTEN OF ASSOU
73. 32TH HIGH SCHOOL OF THESSALONIKI
74. FAIRY TALE KINDERGARTEN
75. SPECIAL KINDERGARTEN OF TOWER
76. GENERAL AND VOCATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL OF AMERICAN AGRICULTURAL SCHOOL OF THESSALONIKI
77. STANDARD KINDERGARTEN- KINDERGARTEN "THE FIRST YEARS"
78. 3rd PRIMARY SCHOOL OF PROSOTSANI
79. 4th KINDERGARTEN OF ARTEMIDOS
80. 3rd KINDERGARTEN OF ARTEMIDOS
81. 7TH KINDERGARTEN OF ARTEMIDOS
82. 11th KINDERGARTEN OF IOANNINA
83. 18TH KINDERGARTEN OF IOANNINA
84. KINDERGARTEN OF TRAHONIOS CYPRUS
85. FOLEGANDROS KINDERGARTEN
86. KINDERGARTEN OF CHAIKALI-PATRAS
87. PRIMARY SCHOOL OF COUNTRY
88. VARVAKIO STANDARD GYMNASIUM
89. UNIFORM HIGH SCHOOL OF FILOTHEIS
90. 7 / Θ MINORITY PRIMARY SCHOOL OF SELERO SCHOOL
91. 1st VOCATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL OF IERAPETRA
92. 14TH KINDERGARTEN OF CHANIA
93. PLATANOULIA KINDERGARTEN
94. 8th PRIMARY SCHOOL OF NEW PHILADELPHIA
95. 106TH KINDERGARTEN OF ATHENS
96. 30th PRIMARY SCHOOL OF VOLOS
97. 2nd KINDERGARTEN OF KATERINI MANDATORY DEPARTMENT 1
98. ATHENER SCHULE
99. MATARAGAS GENERAL HIGH SCHOOL
100. 5th GENERAL HIGH SCHOOL OF HERAKLION
101. 6th GENERAL HIGH SCHOOL OF KAVALA
102. PRIMARY SCHOOL OF GOUVON, EVIA
103. 1st AGIOU DIMITRIOU
104. 6th PRIMARY SCHOOL OF VOLOS
105. 11th HIGH SCHOOL OF THESSALONIKI
106. "DELASAL" OF SYROS
A big "Thank you" to our Sponsors:
- BREAD FACTORY
- LIVE MEDIA
- THREE HEPSILON COCA COLA
- ATHENS CENTER HOTEL SQUARE
- MORNING STAR
- AZKOT ART PHOTOGRAPHY
- CAR BAR
- FRESH LIME
- HARD ROCK CAFE
- HERMES HOTEL
- MINOAN LINES
- RED PEPPER
- ROYAL OLYMPIC ATHENS
"The Smile of the Chlid"
Tel. 11040 (local charge)