INTERSYC - Integrated Territorial Synergies for Children Health and Protection
In the framework of
the European Territorial Cooperation Programme Greece - Bulgaria 2007 / 2013,
the Organization “The Smile of the Child”, in the role of coordinator,
implemented the project under the title “Integrated Territorial Synergies for
Children Health and Protection (INTERSYC)”.
The project included the implementation of the following actions:
- Preventive medicine for more than 3000 children in Greece and Bulgaria by providing the medical vehicles and the human resources of “The Smile of the Child” in both sides of the borders.
- Enhancement of the European Hotline for Missing Children 116000 and the European Collaboration Platform for Missing Children (ECAAS) in Bulgaria.
- Promotion of the Southeastern European Center for Missing and Exploited Children (SEEC).
- First Aid and Rescue Training seminars for professionals working with children.
- Support Centers for Families in Crisis in Greece and Bulgaria.
As part of the
preventive medicine activities of the project, 7579 medical examinations were
carried out in Greece to a total number of 2,022 children. Respectively
preventive medicine actions took place in Bulgaria in the cities Sadanski and
Kardjali. The mobile medical unit "Hippocrates", the medical ophthalmologic unit
of “The Smile of the Child” and staff of the Greek NGO visited Bulgaria in order
to provide support to the local doctors. In Bulgaria, 5.594 medical examinations
were undertaken for 1.594 children in total.
The following partners participated in the partnership scheme:
- Greece: Social Enterprise of the Municipality of Paggaio, Social Enterprise of the Municipality of Kavala – DIMOFELIA.
- Bulgaria: Foundation “Centre Nadja”, "Chance" non-profit association for persons with intellectual disabilities.
The project was
completed in September 2015.
The project INTERSYC
“Integrated Territorial Synergies for Children Health and Protection” won the
1st place award for the best proposal to perform during the Project Slam of
“INTERREG 25 years'” event that took place on 15 and 16 September in Luxembourg.
“There is a high need for cross-border cooperation on issues related to children at risk and we are proud to win along with the Programme’s team and our partners the 1st place of this contest. The INTERSYC project proved to be an indispensable tool in addressing the needs of vulnerable children in Greece and Bulgaria. Our goal is to enrich this excellent cross-border cooperation of public and non-profit actors in the critical areas of health, direct intervention and welfare of children”, said the President of “The Smile of the Child” and Board Member of the International Center for Missing and Exploited Children (ICMEC), Costas Yannopoulos.
For more information please visit the website of the project http://intersyc.eu
or contact us at the e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org